Associate of Applied Science Degree
The Residential & Apartment Technology AAS Degree Program is designed to help students develop the knowledge, skills, and competencies necessary for performing building maintenance, and diagnosing and repairing equipment.
Specifically, the students will develop HVAC skills, plumbing, electrical skills, grounds skills, interior/exterior building maintenance skills, appliance repair skills, plus more. Students will also understand the upkeep and maintenance required at a property in order to maintain its curb appeal and will be able to restore vacant apartment units to a “market ready” condition and in a timely manner.
- Required Technical Courses (38 Credits)
- GEN102 - Basic Electricity
- HEA101 - Electric Furnace Maintenance
- HEA102 - Gas Furnace Maintenance
- HEA103 - EPA Technician Certification
- HEA104 - Air Conditioning Maintenance
- HEA105 - Heat Pump Maintenance
- PLU101 - General Plumbing Maintenance
- PLU102 - Advanced Plumbing Maintenance
- ELE101 - General Wiring Maintenance
- ELE102 - Advanced Wiring Maintenance
- ELE103 - Aluminum Wiring Maintenance (workshop)
- INT101 - Grounds, Scenery & Curb Appeal
- INT102 - Outdoor Amenities
- INT103 - Exterior Building Maintenance
- INT104 - Interior Building Maintenance
- INT105 - Final & Inspection (workshop)
- APP101 - Range Maintenance (Gas & Electric)
- APP102 - Refrigerator Maintenance
- APP103 - Dishwasher Maintenance
- APP104 - Washer Maintenance
- APP105 - Dryer Maintenance
- Elective Technical Courses (7 Credits)
- GEN101 - Careers in Apartment Maintenance
- GEN102 - Basic Electricity
- GEN103 - Self Management
- GEN104 - Supervision
- HEA201 - Worst Case Draft Testing
- INT201 - Uniform Physical Inspections
- INT202 - Mold Remediation
- SWI101 - Swimming Pool and Spa Codes
- SWI102 - Swimming Pool and Spa Opening
- SWI103 - CPO (Certified Pool Operator)
- SWI104 - Swimming Pool and Spa Closing
- General Education Coursework (15 Credits)
- TBD - To Be Determined by Student
There are no prerequisites… but we recommend that students pursue the courses as sequenced in the technical certificate programs, and mainly because, the set of courses are designed to build upon each other.
AC/C TECH utilizes the Carnegie clock-to-credit hour conversion for academic purposes; and therefore, the following is a breakdown of our AAS Degree program:
Residential & Apartment Technology
|Electrical Wiring Maintenance
|Interior/Exterior Building Maintenance
AC/C TECH understands there are many factors that can prevent students from completing a long-term educational plan; and therefore, this program is setup to guide students through smaller educational plans (such as technical certificate programs) that can rollover into earning the AAS Degree without penalty. Therefore, students are guided through Technical Certificate Programs in order of importance:  HVAC Maintenance,  Plumbing Maintenance  Electrical Wiring Maintenance,  Interior/Exterior Building Maintenance, and  Appliance Repair.
Afterwards, they complete the training by pursuing technical electives and general education courses. The general education coursework may include natural and physical sciences (mathematics, physics, biology, chemistry, etc.); social and behavioral sciences (psychology, sociology, history, geography, economics, etc.); humanities and fine arts (English, written and oral communication, literature, foreign language, etc.).
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- Obtain a fulltime job in the residential and apartment maintenance industry.
- Identify and repair HVAC equipment, plumbing systems, electrical systems, interior/exterior building components, and major appliances.
- Explain the upkeep and maintenance required at a property to maintain its curb appeal.
- Inspect and restore vacant apartment units to a “market-ready” condition.
- Develop professional documentation of tasks completed and customer relation skills.
- Solve job assignments within industry standards and governmental regulations.
- Earn the AAS Degree in Residential & Apartment Technology and be prepared for the next promotional opportunity.
Graduates will be awarded the AAS Degree in Residential & Apartment Technology, and EPA Technician Certification as approved by the United States Environmental Protection Agency.
Note 1: AC/C TECH is seeking to offer the AAS Degree without teaching general education courses; and if approved, all general education coursework will be transferred from other accredited institutions. The general education coursework may include natural and physical sciences (mathematics, physics, biology, chemistry, etc.); social and behavioral sciences (psychology, sociology, history, geography, economics, etc.); humanities and fine arts (English, written and oral communication, literature, foreign language, etc.).
Note 2: The admission standards for our AAS Degree program involves earning a high school diploma or a recognized equivalent certificate. Evidence of that credential must be maintained in the student’s private account.